Saturday, September 6, 2014

9/11 Heroes Run (5K) is Tomorrow!

It is a stormy evening here in suburban Philadelphia with high winds, rain, thunder and lightning. Tomorrow's forecast is calling for partly sunny/cloudy skies with low humidity and a high temperature of 81 degrees. The 9/11 Heroes Run in Doylestown, PA is planned for 2PM so although it will be warmer than my ideal running temp, I'll take it with the low humidity!

This will be my first outdoor race since I ran the Chicago Marathon almost a year ago. I am not out to set a new PR. My goal is to finish the race - running.

Yesterday, I experimented with a walk-run routine on the treadmill at the gym (walk 2 minutes, run 4 minutes) and I managed to log 5.25 miles in 65 minutes. At first, I didn't think I would like switching back and forth between walking and running so frequently. Recently, my routine has been to wall for 0.25 miles and run for 0.75 miles. I have to say that I think I prefer the 2 min - 4 min routine. We'll see it works out for me.

My plan for tomorrow is to continue to mix it up with the walking and running. My Garmin watchband is broken so I will be running 'tech-free' so I will leave it up to my instincts and intuition. There are supposed to be close to 2,500 participants at the race so because of the size of the crowd, I am expecting it to be slower moving towards the back and that is where I am planning to hang out. I just want to be out there, have a good time, and savor the moment.

Looking forward to running a 5K tomorrow!

John

1 comment: